For Wednesday, 9/16 and 9/18, read Meditation Two and Meditation Three (A & W, pp. 43-54). Be prepared to discuss the following questions:
- What is the first thing the Meditator claims to be certain about?
- What remains unclear despite this certainty?
- How does the Meditator reach the conclusion that the mind is better known than the body?
- What does the Meditator conclude is required for certainty?
- How does the Meditator try to get rid of the metaphysical basis for doubt introduced in Meditation One?
- What does the ‘whole force of the argument’ for the existence of God in Meditation Three rest on?